Colourful pictorial manuscript map of the Balaton in Hungary, 1726
[HUNGARY, SOMOGY COUNTY]. Manuscript map by Sámuel MIKOVINY, s.a. [ca. 1726].
Untitled [HUNGARY, SOMOGY COUNTY]. Manuscript map by Sámuel MIKOVINY, s.a. [ca. 1726]. At lower right a cartouche (Diana as a swineherd), scale bar and inscription plate with dedication to the Counselor to the Court, Alois Thomas Raimund von Harrach: EXCELLENTISSIMO COMITI/ ALOYSIO THOMAE RAIMVNDO/ ab HARACH/ Augustiss. Imp. CAROLI VI. a sanctiorib[us] Consiliis, Domino suo gratiosissimo/ D.D.D./ S. Mikoviny Architect. et. At upper right a compass rose with north arrow pointing upwards.
93.1-93.5 x 62.2-62.5 cm (map), 90.9-91.3 x 60-60.3 cm (map field), 95.2 x 64.4 cm (sheet size). Scale ca. 1:148.000. Pen-and-ink and watercolour on paper.
Content: The imposing map sheet shows the central part of Lake Balaton (LACVS BALATON germ. Lake Blatten) in the north. In the southwest the representation reaches a section of the Drava (Dravus fl.), which, as the right tributary of the Danube, leaves the sheet in a southeasterly direction. South of Lake Balaton, the watercourses feeding the lake stand out. Numerous settlements are depicted selectively. The areas delineated in red are presumably Harrach estates. Above the cartouche, the ground plan of the fortress of Kaposvár (KAPOSVÁRA) surrounded by a river stands out. Further south, to the left of the cartouche, the fortified Szigetvár (SZIGETVÁRA) stands out, whose name means "island castle", a place of historical significance. For it was here, in front of Szigetvár, that Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent died during the siege of the Second Habsburg-Ottoman War (1566-1568).
Author, dating: In the last line of the dedication Sámuel Mikoviny ("S. Mikoviny Architect. et"; 1700-1750) is signed as map author. Until 1725 Mikoviny called himself "Mathematicus", from 1726 "Architectus et Mathematicus" and from 5th Dec. 1726 "County Engineer". On 28th Sept. 1735 he became surveyor to the court. It is obvious that the map was made around 1726, as "Architect." et "Mathematicus" should follow behind the tree stump on the inscription plate. Mikoviny was a highly renowned mapmaker. He produced numerous county maps based on astronomical measurements, triangulations and field surveys. He also produced mining plans, town plans, land division and water regulation maps. In 1725 Mikoviny was the engineer of the county of Bratislava. He there also set up an observatory in his house in Lange Gasse. With him also began the training of county surveyors, first abroad and later in Pressburg. In Schemnitz (today Banská Štiavnica), the oldest mining town in nowadays Slovakia, he held lectures at the mining school founded there. In 1749 Mikoviny received special recognition when he was appointed director and architect of the planned royal palace in Buda. In his monograph Jan Purdina (1958) listed more than 100 maps of Mikoviny who was groundbreaking for the renewal of Hungary's cartography.
Dedication: Aloys Thomas Raimund von Harrach (1669-1742) had held the position of Governor of Lower Austria since 1728 and also advanced to Viceroy of Naples, where he stayed from 1728 to 1733.
Condition: Carefully restored. Fine copy without visible defects.
Export license available.