Drawing the border line of the Balkans according to the Karlowitz treaty, 1699
CHARTA GENERALIS/ LIMITUM CISS-DANUBIALIUM ab Ostijß … tam in SLAVONIA,/ quam in CROATIA inserviens. Anonymous manuscript map, before 1703.
CHARTA GENERALIS/ LIMITUM CISS-DANUBIALIUM ab Ostijß/ Tibißci triplum Confinium ußque in/ Monte Medvidia Glavitza se exten-/ dens, et ad distinctionem et Transloca-/ tionem Generalatuum, tam in SLAVONIA,/ quam in CROATIA inserviens. Anonymous manuscript map, before 1703.
34,2-56,6 x 56,3 x 56,6 cm (map), 34,1-34,9 x 56,2-56,4 cm (map field). 39.9-40.6 x 62.6 x 63.1 cm (sheet size). Scale approx. 1:820,000. Pen and watercolour on strong laid paper.
Content: First section of the border line according to the peace treaty of Karlowitz in 1699. The map, hand-drawn by an unknown author, shows the border demarcation according to the peace treaty of Karlowitz, which sealed the Austrian victory over the Ottomans on January 26th, 1699. The treaty confirmed Habsburg rule over Hungary (except Timișoara), Transylvania and large parts of Slavonia and Croatia. In addition, the Ottomans lost Podolia to Poland, a large part of the Peloponnese and parts of Dalmatia to Venice. Austria instead became a major European power.
The map is oriented to the south-southeast, which roughly traces the extent of the Austrians' power to the south-east. Thus the Sava (SAVUS FLUVIUS) flows into the Danube (DANUBIUS FLU.) at Belgrade (Bellgrad) from right (west) to left (east). A coastal strip of the Adriatic Sea (MARIS ADRIATICI PARS) can be made out in the west in the right half of the leaf. The course of the Danube is depicted south of Belgrade to the north until the mouth of the Drava (DRAVUS FLUVIUS), which is shown in its course to the north of Varaždin (Warazin). The rivers, most of which drain to the Danube and less to the Adriatic, are clearly highlighted, as are the settlements. The mountain ranges are depicted in the manner of molehills. In the centre of the sheet, Banja Luka (Banialuka) on the Vrbas (VERBAS FLU.), a right tributary of the Sava, is mapped in the northwest of present-day Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The new borderline begins north of Belgrade on the left bank of the Danube opposite Stari Slankamen (Zlankamen) at the level of the mouth of the Temesch (TIBISCUS F.) It runs along land (red lines with black dots) and is oriented towards the rivers (coloured light red). The border extends to the Triplex Confinium (TRIPLUM CONFINIU) off the Adriatic coast, where the Republic of Venice, the Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire border each other.
At Novi Grad (Novi), which stands out strategically at the confluence of the Sana (SANA FLU.) and the Una (UNNA FLU.), the border demarcation had not yet been completed, as it was not until 12th August 1703 that the different territorial claims could be settled. Consequently, the map was drawn before that date. The impressive map was subject to secrecy and was probably made for a high-ranking person of the military or the court war council.
Provenance: The first owner and dedicatee of the map was Wilhelm Johann Anton von und zu Daun (1621-1706). Daun was field marshal general of the Austrian army in the "Turkish Wars". His successor in this position and second owner of the map was Johann Joseph Philipp Count Harrach (1678-1764). The map remained in the possession of the Harrachs until the 1960s and was subsequently acquired by a now defunct Viennese antiquarian bookshop in the course of a purchase of a larger quantity of prints and books. The current, fourth owner acquired the map from this antiquarian bookshop.
Condition: Margins somewhat stained at the edges, especially in the lower part. Overall hardly any signs of aging.
Export license available.